Why use something for a few minutes that will spend the rest of yours,& your great, great, great grandchildrens lives, attempting to break down in landfill or killing in the ocean?
You may have seen the ABCs Series War On Waste & have been inspired to make some changes but if not, Plastic Free July is a great place to start!!
If you are already on your way, what can you pledge this July to do to reduce it even more? Perhaps you can encourage your friends or families to sign up & make some changes?
PFJ is a super busy toime for me this year, with 6 workshops you can get involved in
What is Plastic Free July?
It is an initiative started in 2011 by a small group in Perth to educate residents on waste & has now been embraced by millions worldwide in over 130 countries. Impressive stuff!
It aims to raise awareness of single-use disposable plastic issue and challenges people to be active in reducing their use.
Once you register you will nestled & supported by the PFJ team & receive handy tips & tricks to support you along the way – they have loads of great tips aready on their site to get you started.
- Apart from the small amount of plastic which has been incinerated EVERY piece of plastic which was ever produced still exists on earth somewhere.
- Plastic bottles, bags and takeaway containers that we use just for a few minutes is made from a material that is designed to last forever.
- These plastics:
- Break up, not down, – becoming permanent pollution (& small morsels mistaken for food by marine life)
- Are mostly downcycled (made into low grade product for just one more use) or sent to landfill (where they have no chance of breaking down)
- Can ‘escape’ from your household bin, trucks, events etc. to become ‘accidental litter’ & end up in waterways and the ocean
- Scientists predict there will be more tonnes of plastic than tonnes of fish by 2050
- Transfer to the food chain – carrying pollutants with them & into our bellys
- Australians alone send 1 million tonnes of plastic waste to landfill each year which has a devastating effect on our Marine life & Eco system when it ends up in our ocean
What do I need to do?
Joining the challenge is simple……choose to refuse single-use plastic during July….thats it!
- You can participate as much or as liitle as you like…. one week, a month or dip your toes in with the TOP 4 challenge – plastic bags, bottles takeaway coffee cups & straws – even committing to using a Resuable cup is a win!
- Plastic shopping bags, plastic cups, straws, plastic packaging…basically anything that’s intended only to be used once and then discarded.
- Collect your unavoidable single-use plastic and share it with the PFJ team at the end of the challenge.
- Remember – this is a challenge, you dont need to be perfect, just starting is something!
- OK sign me up!
If you are keen to make a change & help look after this delicate but amazing planet Register for Plastic Free July here or for more information go to their website Plastic Free July
Here is a Printable Tip list I have created to get you started.
To help you along yout way I will be having a comp via Instagram (which I have yet to pop up) with loads of yummy goodies from my store. I’ll fill you in more on that as PFJ gets started.
Im pretty excited about you all getting on board this year & joining me. Would love for you to leave a comment below about what you plan to do!!
With Plastic free love!